Sunday, December 30, 2007

On waxing

So yesterday was the first Michigan Cup race of the year (9k classic) and with the temperature fluctuating from 26-34 I was way out of my element.

So I had multigrade purple on initially but it wasn't working and I got scared. I started throwing things on listening to other people around me who probably knew less than I do with the "if some is good, more is better" philosophy. Finally I got something to work...and then it started to snow. Game over.

I had way way too much wax on to the point where I fell 4 times because my skis iced up and would simply stop on the downhills. Awful. I've never experienced that before. I really should have done well - I was right up at the front after 3k, feeling great, but then came the long downhill section and I just got dropped. I'd come to complete stops trying to shake off the ice so I could move. I finished a disappointing 8th.

But don't worry, I'm staying positive because physically I felt good, I just had crazy control issues because of the atrocious waxing job.

Note: the winner I think they disqualified for using skate skis (and some skate technique)- people were trying anything to avoid having to wax in those conditions.

Bottom line - I wish I was in Austria and I am very thankful for Scottie.

Hope all is well with everyone. Ski fast. Happy New Year!!

-Andrew

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Herr Anders-

Great post, great race. I feel for you, brotha, waxing to me when the conditions are more difficult than straight blue extra is about as easy as reading Korean. Which, contrary to Ollie's belief, I still cannot do.

Keep on housin' not much time more to go until it gets mad real.

All's well here in the IBK. After 4 days of high pressure system blue sky and cloudless days, it's finally dumping in Tirol. Because of these phenomenon, there hasn't been much time for ahhbloggin. Good, juicy post comin' up soon.

Hugs, love, Clemacious Rock--

D