Monday, December 17, 2007

Blood Doping

So today, before my 10k TT in Seefeld, I was hanging out in the stadium changing some clothes and saw this guy I'd noticed before, a master who strongly resembled NENSA Guru Bert Hinkley. I went over and introduced myself. He had a fantastic Seefeld dialekt which he toned down to speak with me, introducing himself as Der Franz. We spoke, and I grilled him about the best loop for a 10k TT. We decided that none was better than the WC race loop and he explained a cutoff to make it just the right distance with maximal pain infliction. I don't know how to say pain cave properly in German, but he understood what I meant.

Anyhow, I asked Franz about some upcoming races in the area and as I did, a guy in a Salomon Force team jacket cruised by, but no national team getup like most of the fast skiers in Seefeld. Franz stopped talking and asked me if I knew who he was. I said no, but I'd seen him around and noticed him absolutely ripping on the boards. Franz looked at me and said that his name was Tauber. I asked his first name, even though I already knew, and Franz replied understandingly, "Jaaaa, er ist der Martin." He flagged Martin over and introduced me. We chatted about some US politics, our shitty representation at the Bali Conference and most importantly, the lack of races between now and 12 Jan in Seefeld and the killer snow. Martin was busy, wished me luck in the TT and took off to do a Seefeld promotional photo shoot.

I asked Franz if Martin was a native Seefelder. Franz just pointed to a small cabin next to the tracks, adjacent to the famous Seefeld Chapel, a simple little house with a plume of smoke wiggling out of the chimney. Franz nodded and motioned to his knee, saying he knew Martin since before he could walk. Grew up coaching him, watched him rise to be a world class athlete, narrowly missing the top podium place in Davos last year. Franz then looked me in the eyes and said simply, "Lebenverbot". Lifetime ban. Franz explained that Martin had nothing wrong, only an empty syringe had been found in their house in Torino. No evidence of drugs was present. He paused and then wished me luck in my time trial, not expecting me to understand whe Martin hadn't used drugs. He grew up in Seefeld, he trained hard everyday. Couldn't cheat, couldn't use drugs.

I was just sort of blown away by the whole ordeal. Small towns, like Seefeld and Lake Placid, stand behind their athletes and even when those athletes are tarnished in newspapers worldwide and disowned by their coaches and governing bodies, they're still heroes in their own village.

Anyhow, TT was really good. I'm excited for this season. Martin Tauber is still really fast, and so is Franz. Maybe there is just something in the water here...

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/newsinformation/pressreleases/press-releases-2007/doping-panel-torino-athl.html

http://www.martin-tauber.at/



-D

No comments: