Sunday, October 21, 2007

Dachstein Closed

Team:

Sadly the Dachstein was closed this weekend. Thankfully, 100 cm of fresh white allowed 15k of trails to be open in the valley, which I shared with 387 of my closest national team friends. It was pretty hectic on the single lane tracks so I did what any Harvard men's team member would do: latch onto the back of the Czech women's team and follow them around for 2 hours. The snow was quite heavy, but the conditions were mid-winter but some washed out turns made for great beaters and lots of multi-national shouting and drinkbelt throwing. That Czech women's team, jesus. Wicked.

It was quite a structured weekend so I kept precise track of my data for the blog. Got a total of 345 minutes of skiing. My heart rate max was 8 and my average 12. My only strength session was shoveling the Mitter family driveway which took about 40 minutes, mostly spent in level 14. There was lots of lactate testing going on, so I got that done as well. My first pricks were 4 and the next two were both 19. I've graphed the results on excel which I am now getting laminated down at Kinko's. Good people.

Great weekend on the snow, got to catch up with my Canadian team buddy Phil Widmer who I met while backcountry skiing in Canada, their training was going well and it was nice to speak a little of the patriotic tongue and pick women's teams to follow around.

No pictures this weekend, only skiing, but here's the highlight reel:

Highlight Reel:

  1. Watching Giorgio di Centa lose a sprint to an 8 year old kid from Ramsau with a killer V2. He may have thrown it away in the end to boost the kid's self-esteem, but I think they just screwed around all summer and are starting to realize it's crunch time.
  2. Watching the Japanese national team try to take over the stadium area to do intervals on the one lane track and get cussed out by the Czech women's team.
  3. Wishing Nabel and Andy were around to hang out with the Czech women's team.
Fun weekend, winter came in a hurry to Europe. Could only have been better if you guys were around. Europe is a mecca for the IR couple game.

Tschau,

Dave

No comments: