Thursday, July 12, 2007

Off-day blogging

I've got what amounts to a day off at the restaurant today, having to show up at 5 rather than 3:30. I get to hang out in the kitchen and organize everyone's order as it comes up, then steal 15% of total tips and peace out at 9. Should be pretty money. Seeing as I've been packing the days with training and work, I decided today would be my training off day as well, so I could just relax. Basically I spent most of the morning in bed, then ran errands (birthday presents, bottle returns, paycheck pickups, etc.), and now I'm lazing around the apartment. I found that we can now steal even sweeter internet access than before, which bodes well for the rest of the summer.

I figure a recap of the previous days' training is in order. Over the last few days the weather has been shitty to say the least. I think it's rained pretty much every day for the last week or so. Monday I did 1:20 of running on the biathlon trails at van Ho, including 5x(4x:30 sec) bounding intervals. First true speed "workout" of the summer and I felt good. In the afternoon I did the first of the phase II lifts and it was killer. Then I headed off to work, where it thundered and rained so no one came to the restaurant.

Tuesday was an OD day, which I'd planned on doing with Dave, but he had to replace his contacts. I guess if you go wicked fast on a bike like he did the night before in the mini tri, contacts are prone to falling out. So I headed out in the mid-morning to do a 90 minute run, followed by a 90 minute ski. First mistake was setting out late: it was f--king hot! Parking on Bear Cub I ran into Caitlin Compton, who, as some of you may know, is wicked fast. Chatted with her for a few minutes while gearing up, then I took off. Did the 90 minutes mostly on trails and I was feeling the lack of food by the end. After scarfing Chewy bars at the car and switching to skate gear, I headed out for a slow and sore second half of the workout. The ski was slow and I was sore, so I focused on technique. That is, until the skies unleashed torrents of rain and claps of thunder. Then the lightning started. Then Dave's mom drove by me on the road and demanded that I head back to my car.

Wednesday was supposed to be more tame - I woke up at 9:30 as Anna was coming back from her rollerski and she said it was hot and foggy. Not a good sign. About two minutes after I left the car, it started to pour. Now normally a little rain during a ski isn't so bad, but this was pelting, cold, sharp rain and I had no shirt. And my skis have no fenders. So that was great.

Anna is ranting about her keys and I have to go help her look. She's cranky.

Audrey Mangan, post on the blog!

-- O

No comments: