Wednesday, June 15, 2011


Hello Harvard Nordic. Greetings from Russia. I left the cord that connects my camera to my computer in the US, so I have no pictures with me in them.


The first place we went to was the Peter and Paul Fortress. When Peter the Great decided to build St. Petersburg, he started with the fort on this small island. Dostoyevsky was imprisoned here. I live in one of the apartment buildings to the North of the island.

I haven't actually been inside yet, but here is the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. It is the only Russian style church in St. Petersburg. They sell really beautiful souvenirs outside the church. I am planning to buy some, but I like all the things so don't count on me getting any of you anything.

This is the square right behind the Hermitage. On the other side of that walkway is Невский Проспект (Nevskiy Prospect- I knew you were waiting for me to throw some Russian in).



This picture is from inside the Winter Palace/ Hermitage (Зимний Дворец/ Эрмитаж). We went yesterday after class. This room is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen. The staircase is bigger than my house. Russian couples get married every day of the week, and take pictures on the Нева River, Peter and Paul Fortress, and at all the other beautiful historic sites. We saw a couple getting their wedding photos taken on this staircase. Of course, tourist groups got in the way 95% of the time. I felt like I was at home at Harvard. If you ever get a chance to go to the Winter Palace, go, because it is really sweet. Each room is huge and unique.

So now you know the touristy things you have to see if you ever come to Russia.

JRR


No comments: