Thursday, June 28, 2007

LP Update #2

I'm sitting here on our porch in Placid relaxing after my second workout of the day. The week has been brutal, trying to combine a volume week with a 6 day work week. The restaurant is crazy right now because there is a horseshow in town and that means tons of rich people eating out. It's great for money, but not so great when it's 95 in the kitchen and a table is demanding to know where their crabcakes are. After last night (a total clusterf--k), I needed tonight off.

But, rather than lounge around all day, Anna and I met up with Devlin this morning to do some threshold running. The girls opted for 3x10 minute intervals while I went for a 35 minute sustained threshold run with 5 minutes of "burning matches" at the end. It was warm, but much cooler than the day before. I cruised around the trails behind Dave's house and the ski jumps (bumping the new Clipse album for entertainment) and then finished up running up Bear Cub Road where the girls were. All of us had a great workout and we finished up with a dip in Mirror Lake.

In the afternoon Schulz had to go to PT over at the medical center, so I decided to rest a while. "A while" became a two hour nap and I only woke up to the sounds of Anna cooking Ramen and talking to Nabel on the phone. Schlutz had to go to work at the restaurant (big ups to bussing tables) so I dropped her off and headed over to Van Ho to do the mid-week strength workout. Warmed up with a 40 minute run and then dove into the hardest week of the Wednesday circuit. It busted my ass and I got eaten alive by bugs. Deer flies are vicious if you train shirtless.

The rest of the evening is open, so I'm gonna go meet up with some buds and relax before getting Anna at work. Then it's early to bed, early to rise for an OD ride. I've got an 80 mile loop planned out that swoops through small towns east of Placid. Should be a good one. Then it's back to the grind at the Boathouse every night this week.

Dave's rocking the Tinman half-Ironman triathlon this Saturday, so hopefully he'll update after that on his training for the race and how the race goes. He's gonna slay it.

Remember: if you want it bad enough, you can train on the moon.

-- Ollie

No comments: