Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Snow Report from New Zealand

According to the locals, this the earliest snow has ever arrived in Wanaka. As soon as I landed about 2 weeks ago and found someone who owned both skinny skis and a car I've been literally up above the clouds skiing at the fabled Snow Farm as often as I can. Unfortunately, this is only on the weekend, when I'm off work and can get up the 12 km mountain road with enough daylight to spare for a good workout. This is a minor drawback, however, because during the week I can go on runs during my lunch break that look like this:


I've worked out a deal with the owners of the Snow Farm where I'm instructing in the mornings and can ski in the afternoons for free. So far it's been mostly little kids for a Bill Koch-like program on Saturday mornings and the odd private lesson. My respect for for whoever taught me to ski when I was 6 or 7 has increased exponentially in the 4 days I've been up there, but it's all worth it.


50k of groomed trails.


Necessary gymnast/rock star pose.

With high school teammate Mary (Williams 06) who was in town for a few days on vacation. I haven't quite got the hang of the self-timer.

To everyone back home: I want updates of your summers! Now!
-A

PS- when I was taking a break at work today I was catching up on my Johnny Klister and found this gem:

No comments: