Friday, June 20, 2008

A Final Post (for now)

Well, Oliver's post reminded me that yes, a final post is probably long overdue. A retrospective on my skiing experience is perhaps a bit too ambitious for just a brief blog entry, but something to close out the year and express my thanks to all of you is certainly in order.

We've done a lot during my years on the team. We've trained countless hours in the best of conditions and the worst. Had some great adventures throughout New England and Colorado. Walked along the razor's edge and reached into new depths of the pain cave. As a team we've come a long way in these years and hopefully initiated the next generation into the "new way" that is Harvard Nordic.

All the friends and memories that surround my time on the team make up what is likely the most influential part of my Harvard experience. Thank you all - coaches, teammates, friends, and families.

As I said, skiing's had quite the effect on me. Hopefully, a life-long effect. In fact, I'm already out in pursuit of snow. Right now I'm in Scandinavia for Let's Go this summer and I've made skiing highlights a priority. Below are pictures from Vuolkatti's ski tunnel.

1st ski tunnel in the world. 1.2km.

It's quite the contrast to be inside where your camera lens is frosting over and to look out and see beautiful flowers and 24 hours straight of sunlight up here by the arctic circle (Happy Midsummer!)
A very happy skier after an hour long skate workout on snow 6/17/2008.

A quick addendum to the Ski tunnel trip - there's a big board with signatures of all the people who have visited the tunnel. The President of Finland, national ski teams, etc. Now there's a big HARVARD NORDIC right between a photo of the Russian ski team standing with Putin and a signed picture of Deutschland's National Biathlon Mannschaft.

Anyway, to bring this to a close, I just want want to thank everyone who was a part of my skiing experience. And wish the best of luck to Coach City and the team as they prepare for next year.

As for my fellow seniors. Oliver and Chris, you guys are special. It's been an honor. You are the best teammates, training buddies, and friends anyone could ask for. And as for your contribution to the team...it's almost too much to really recognize. Those awards you were nominated for at the banquet were well deserved, but if there were awards for the individuals who have done the most to improve their team, you guys would win hands down. I can't imagine anyone who has done more to redefine their team's culture, attitude, and aspirations so positively. The work you did on this team will be seen, I hope, for many years to come.

I titled this "A Final Post (for now)" because I do think that perhaps an occasional alumni post might be appropriate if it's pertinent to the team or skiing generally - you know, when Ollie, Chris, and I do the Birkie, I think that's post-worthy. I will, however, as tough as it is, relinquish the right to post on topics such as South Park, run-ins with Austrian Monks, and the like. Well, unless it's really really necessary. I'll just have to resort to being an avid blog reader.

Ski friends, as Peter loves to say, you're the greatest. Good luck team.

Thanks,

Anders

No comments: