Friday, June 20, 2008

Barack Obama's Oil Policy aka My last post

Anders and Ollie offered their final thoughts, so I would be remiss if I did not follow suit. They provided comments that were aptly introspective and retrospective. As I sat down to write my own final post, I was not to be outdone. If they've already covered retrospection and introspection, then I should aim for extrospection, which is neither retro- nor intro-, but somewhere else along the spection spectrum. Since extrospection is an examination of matters outside oneself, I am naturally unsuited to write about something has been a significant part of me for the past four years. So, I shared my memories and reflections with a robot, and asked it to write a post for me. What the robot returned was downright profane. I was particularly surprised and offended by the use of slang drug references. Needless to say, I had to scrap that plan and return to square one.

So what to say that hadn't already been said? Ollie had already recapped our last official engagement as members of the team, while Andy, using the eloquence and discretion that McCahill has come to know and love, expressed the gratitude we all feel for the opportunities we had and the people who shared them with us. Andy even had pictures of a ski tunnel. I could offer predictions of what the future may hold! but that would most likely dwell on my innovative and exotic cooking skills (oriental mac and cheese = american cheese + strained ramen). I could offer advice to my fellow graduating seniors! but then I saw myself assuming the voice of Naj, telling Ollie that he needs to lock it down with Anna.

Because I was voted "Most Wise" at our team banquet in April, I think it is only fitting that I leave some words of wisdom. When I sit back and think about where this team has been and where it is going, two thoughts come to mind. First, I think about how physically attractive Andy, Ollie and I are. This will always be a formative memory of our time as skiers. We just look really, really good. Second, I think about the changes that have happened over the past 4 years. We now have skiers who know how to ski and go home to snow in the winter. You have a tremendous opportunities ahead of you, academically and athletically. Savor them both, and the people you share them with. It won't always be easy (it usually won't be easy), but it wouldn't be worth doing if it were. Keep up the good work and remember what it's all about: ski hard and have fun.

I'll catch you later.

Chris

1 comment:

Harvard Nordic Skiing said...

Chris Nabel, you are so discreet, but you will forever haunt my dreams.

-Cocoa Bean