Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hello from Canada, eh!



My darling pterodactyls,

I am consistently amazed by the experiences Harvard deems educational…and thus funds. For example, I am currently languishing in the spectacular Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada, ostensibly “researching for my senior thesis.” Seeing as how I am surrounded by majestic peaks rising thousands of feet above me, secluded tree-lined trails and welcoming sunny skies, my “research” has included a lot of “getting to know the area.” I took my brand-spanking-new road bike out for a spin the other day and rode to Canmore, about 15 miles away, where I suffered up the MASSIVE hill to the nordic course and managed to catch the tail end of the Canadian Mountain Bike Championships before rolling back toward Banff (Nordic skiers: I tell ya, they even make you work for your tourist experiences. Gluttons for punishment, all of them). I’ve also taken plenty of time to head out into the hills and wander about, competing with the millions of other tourists to see who can get the best photo of the same stunning vista.

Besides Banff, I’ve also had a little bit of time to bum about Montana, exploring my native Glacier National Park with Anne and making a trip to Yellowstone (where I just so happened to run into Mr. Tanner Wiegand in Bozeman). In America’s first national park, I hung out in a real-life Old West town, saw loads of wildlife, active geysers, amazing scenery, and the ever-elusive “tourist in the wild.”





I hope you’re all having fantastic summers! Keep training, keep blogging, and I’ll see you in the fall!

Peace, love, and rainy summer days,
Clare

No comments: